Sunday 15 November 2020

The Listening Club - 15th November 2020

Hey folks,

Well, for a change it's been a predictable week, sadly that means unprecidented levels of political bickering whilst thousands of people unnecessarily get sick and die. Oh 2020, you really are such a card...

Meanwhile in the oasis of sanity that is #LC, last week @Saucer was in the chair, dealing forth a most unusual selection in the form of the original 1961 stage cast recording of the South African "Jazz Opera", "King Kong", which entertained and bamboozled the assembled in equal measures. Thanks to Saucer for the excellent pick, and for sailing the frisb over to @NeilPBardhan, who's here with tonight's intro...

"Near as I can figure out now, I must have first come across this band in early 2010 through a now-defunct music site a friend was working on. Their name popped up again a few months later when I was figuring out my summer concert plans... and then again, a few thousand miles later in my early fall concert plans. After that second show, I introduced myself to them by saying "I've seen you on two continents in the past 6 weeks." They invited me to have a beer with them afterwards, but broke and in a strange logistical limbo, I had to decline. I'll always regret not sticking around for that beer.

Their tracks are full of melodic fuzz, joy, countless layers, and wonky angles. I don't know how I dance to it, only that I do. What lyrics I recognize are sparse and encouraging. These songs feel like church to me in the best way: redemption and catharsis. 

I've never found another band that sounds like this, and I'm not sure I want to." 

Okaydoke. Direct download's here, stream's below:

See you at 8pm GMT.

No comments:

Post a Comment