Sunday 1 September 2019

The Listening Club - 1st September 2019

Greetings folks,

Hope all is well and good. September already, really? Still holding on to the warm and sunny as best we can here, aided by a local band just round the corner serenading us with easy listening Latin-American sounds this afternoon. All very neighbourly and civilized indeed.

Last week round these parts, @xpollen8 was in the chair, serenading folks with the electronic stylings of Geotic's "Traversa" which seemed to go down pretty well. Thanks to David for the pick, and for sailing frisb across to post-carnival London, where @ohmyliver has this to say...

"So, I seem to have in my possession the Listening Club frisbee.   

Last week, I started out in a post-carnival glow.  It was a good Carnival.  Amidst the standard roots/reggae sound systems, I even had a bit of a boogie to some Dr Dre, and Drum and Bass.  Oh and Jam Rock, which I heard on 3 different sound systems as I pottered around Notting Hill/The Grove.  I’m not a huge fan of that song, but its bass rattling through the streets of Victorian terrace sounds great.  

So, I was wondering if I could get away with a Saxon Sounds live recording from ‘84.  Or a Channel One one from this year or last year.  Y’know, a big up to the London cultures which have been hugely important to British music, a big up to a still free festival which is a celebration of a London at risk from the rising nationalist effluence. 

But then, politics intruded.  The direction of travel of politics in the UK is alarming, to say the least.  Whilst the shutting down of Parliament by an executive which only has minority support, pushing through a hugely damaging (yet profitable to the right people) change which again has minority support, isn’t technically a coup, it sure fucking feels like the beginnings of one.  The Thick of it, with Alan Moore as script consultant, as you were. 

So I wanted to respond to this.  So something like Jungle Revolution by Congo Natty, or anything by Lowkey, would work wonders.  But then this popped up, like some sort of Grime divine intervention.  

It’s very new (came out a couple of days ago).  It’s from someone who started out in East London’s N.A.S.T.Y crew (alongside D double E, Jammer, etc), won various ‘best newcomer’ awards in 2004/5 and even got props from the then Mayor of London.  

I’ve listened to it a couple of times, and I can understand why it’s getting good reviews all over the shop.  I think I prefer the more introspective 0800-Dinosaur presents Trim, but it’s similar territory."

Okaydoke. Direct download is here, and the stream's down below:



See you at 8pm BST (GMT+1) tonight.   



No comments:

Post a Comment