Sunday 8 September 2019

The Listening Club - 8th September 2019

Greetings folks,

Feeling decidedly autumnal here in Amsterdam, already, and hoping the warms decide to return for a last hurrah before the grey sets in. In the meanwhilst, there's a thrum of tidying and sorting in and around the house, the traditional sort of post-hibernation prep that comes with the time of year, before it's impossible to go outside without layers on. Still, as the festival season comes to a close, the indoor gigging season begins again, hoorah. And so it goes. (Phew, managed to avoid mentioning the current British political shitshow, well done me...)

Last week, @ohmyliver was in the chair, providing a lyrical take on that which shall not be named and much more, in the form of Kano's "Hoodies All Summer", which went down pretty good with the assembled. Thanks to Oli for the pick, and for sailing the frisb up to Tyneside, and the returning @Jonny_Pigg, who has this to say by way of introduction to tonight's pick...

"So, it's been a while, turns out kids take up quite a lot of your time, who knew? Well, everyone I think still, I've managed a return and a frisbaton catch and here we are. 

First thoughts were to the list I still had in mind to work through and pick one, however, I'd not really listened to any of them lately, in fact the last few months have been a rabbit hole of Spotify's making which has introduced and re-introduced me to uncountable tunes which I'd like to play all of. Bands I'd forgotten about/never heard of but should have, songs I'd missed first time round, artists I'd ignored for no real reason. 

The hardest part here was picking an album as most of the tracks tended to be the standout or part of a small group of standout tracks on an album, with the rest not really catching my attention. So I thought about what listeningclub was to me and what I'd missed about it. Basically I like switching off on a Sunday with a drink and doing nowt but listening to music for an hour or so. Nice to chat to people as well and all that, but the switching off from the day and just settling in is a belter.  So, what album did I want to listen to uninterrupted? It's the end of the weekend, it's been a long week with another ahead, something I can switch off to, nod my head, tap my feet and just take it in. 4 albums sprung to mind, after a quick run through the winner was picked. 

Now, this is a 2 cd album of which I hardly ever listen to number 2, but as there's a couple of scratches on cd 1 I've had to edit out 2 tracks so as an encore I've added the first one on the second cd. So get comfy, this isn't going to be like the time I made you all listen to Japanese techno metal.

Enjoy"

Okaydoke. Direct download's here, and the stream's below:


See you at 8pm BST (GMT+1) tonight, while it lasts!


No comments:

Post a Comment