Sunday 22 September 2019

The Listening Club - 22nd September 2019

Greetings folks,

Well, the weather gods have given us another glorious warm weekend, so after a Saturday of sun, beer, pizza, friends and music, today has been all about the gentle recovery, and tonight I think will be all about a large curry, and more music from these environs. Perfert weekend, really.

Last week, as a prelude to a week of flute-related discussion and punnery, @SimonLandmine was in the chair dosing everyone up with The Young Gods' 2008 acoustic escapade "Knock On Wood", which seemed to go down pretty well indeed (yes I am biased). Thanks to Simon for the pick, and for sailing the frisb across to @Brainspiritus, who has this to say by way of introduction to tonight's pick...

"This week, I'm breaking promises. I know some of you are hoping for entirely non-surprising metal guitars. (Did you not learn anything from last time?)  On the other hand, I promised the jester in me that should I catch the audio frisbaton in late summer, I'd pick a very particular version of a very particular work by Tchaikovsky to celebrate the return of Stollen and Christmas Pudding to the supermarkets. I guess we're all lucky tonight.

Tonight's pick, instead, is a 2008 mixed studio/live album by a group I stumbled across on an online radio stream around 2010. Funny how you need a streamer from California to learn about a band that's basically from one city over and has been going for over 35 years now. Sound-wise, they may be a bit on the rough and scruffy side sometimes (as one of their members once put it: "we're from a big city, where there's quite a bit of noise to shout over"), but I'm scruffy, too, so what do you expect? Also, Bonus points for recognizing the two guest vocalists from the UK, who've been quite successful with other groups or on their own.

#drinkingclub is probably pilsener, but a decent one, from a proper glass."

Okaydoke. Direct download is here, and the stream's below:


See you at 8pm BST (GMT+1).

No comments:

Post a Comment