Sunday 21 July 2024

The Listening Club - 21st July 2024

Greetings folks,

Hope all is going well for you all. A pretty soggy week here in Amsterdam, reprieved by several lovely hot days late in the week but still not quite the level of Summer that I'd prefer. Of course I'm being demanding, but I'm on sabbatical, dammit, and nothing ventured and all that, eh?

Next week = end of month, so #vortex time again - please raise your theme suggestions this evening, thanks!

Last Sunday saw @ogili seeding the dancefloor with the classic "Motown Chartbusters Vol.1", which got the assembled shimmying and shaking like there was no tomorrow. Thanks to Oliver for the pick, and for doing a solid job of making sure the frisb landed well, in this case into the hands of @faberfedor, who's here with tonight's intro...

"Despite appearances, I'm not a Baby Boomer. 'Nam wasn't my war; Kennedy wasn't my president; the Beatles weren't my band. I identified more with GenX but I didn't quite fit in there either.

I recently learned there is a generation between the Boomers and GenX: [Generation Jones]. We were the original latch-key kids. Riding Schwinns with banana seats.  Staying out till the streetlights came on. Those kids from "Stranger Things"? Yeah, that was us. Without the Upside Down, fortunately.

I'm not sure if it's because I've found a cohort, I'm getting old,  or what but I'm digging out old albums, listening with older ears, and appreciating them even more.

Which brings us to tonight's selection. It's not a "rare gem" from myhalcyon days or anything like that but I think y'all like it. Y'all will immediately recognize what this is from the opening strains, I'm sure. 

Unless there really was an Upside Down."

Right then. Download's here, stream's below:

See you 20:00 BST (GMT+1) tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment