Sunday 17 July 2022

The Listening Club - 17th July 2022

Greetings,

Hope you're all doing okay. Bit scorchio on this side of the planet right now, which is more than a little alarming. Here in Amsterdam we're only going to get a couple of days of mega heat (well, this time round anyway), which is a relief, and not until next week, which is also a relief as we're off out tonight to see Joe Jackson in Utrecht, so yes, tonight you have both me and our erstwhile selectionist absent, which may well be interesting...

Last Sunday we had @Andrew_Oleksiuk in the chair, dealing out a decidely quirky slice of American twang in the shape of The Meat Puppets' (possibly weather-appropriate) "Up On The Sun", which went down very well indeed so it seemed. Thanks to Andrew for the pick, and for flipping the frisb across to @wojsvenwoj, who had this to say before sloping off elsewhere....

"Like most of you I imagine, I always have a few albums in the back pocket that are potential picks for Listening Club. Oddly enough though, this was not one of them even though it really caught my ear when it came out a few years ago. 

That artist has a new record coming out later this year which, as I mentioned on Twitter earlier this week, I thought was already released and had been thinking it would be fun to do a first listen to with all y'all...but alas, that was not to be.

So, I took all the back pocket albums, added the last album by the mystery artist, queued them up to listen to on Friday evening's drive out of town, and, by gum, that was the one that tickled my fancy most.

I know that's a bunch of words about the process instead of the music but, well, sometimes that how it goes. I will say this though: it's one of those albums that both Stereogum and I agree on. 

I'll try to check in sometime during the appointed hour but, either way, enjoy!"

Right then, download's here, and the stream's below:

"See" you at 8pm BST (GMT+1) tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment