Sunday 3 October 2021

The Listening Club - 3rd October 2021

Greetings folks,

Hope you're all doing okay. Solid rain here in Amsterdam, as autumn takes hold, much to the annoyance of Hype Cat, who was thoroughly enjoying the September sun, not too hot, not too cold, and is now grumpily staring out the window at the windy splatter. So it goes.

Also, in the "so it goes" category, thanks to changing border restrictions I'll be away next Sunday making a long-awaited UK family visit, so am in need of a caretaker-manager to run things here, if you can help, let me know! (Also there's a firm chance we'll be in that London for an evening (prob the 12th), so if any local types are around and feel comfortable with meeting up for a drink or two, let me know).

Last Sunday, as you should recall, we were gathered for the "Songs to or about anyone other than Maggie May Vortex", which brought together a fine collection of dedicated and / or nomenclatured tunage. Many thanks to @saucer for gathering and constructing a fine work, and all who chipped in tunes! Checking the schedules, we see @emmaprice clutching the frisbaton, with this to say by way of introduction to tonight's pick...

"Greetings my fellow Listening Clubbers. Life is feeling a bit strange at the moment and here in the UK it feels that we're only a couple of steps away from fortifying our positions on the parapet for the incoming zombie apocalypse.

Given this you can imagine my joy at being able to go to a festival again last month and to stand, pint in hand singing in a crowd of thousands while bearded men in wedding dresses and kids in fancy dress roamed free.

It was at this festival I met a kindred spirit, our eyes met over the crowds of festival goers and within 10 seconds of meeting we were talking about favourite albums. What's followed since is a sharing of the music that moves and inspires us - it's opened up new avenues and artists for me which co-incidentally is why we're here, sharing albums that excite, intrigue and bring us joy.

This pick today is by his favourite artist. Someone I'd not listened to myself and in fact I'm listening to this album for the first time while typing this. I'm picking this as a reminder of how precious those moments of musical connection are to us all.

Drinking club tonight is a pint of Guinness. I'm raising my glass to us all meeting again soon."

Okaydoke. Download's here, stream's below.

See you 8pm BST (GMT+1)


No comments:

Post a Comment