Sunday 10 October 2021

The Listening Club - 10th October 2021

Afternoon, chums! @JimMcCauley at your service while @kleptones is off visiting some backwards washed-up hellhole country for a few days. Here in Bath it's turned out quite nice, so I have some washing out on the line, the cats are tucked up in their beds and I'm basically killing time until this evening's panto rehearsal (oh yes I am etc.).

Last week @emmaprice was at the decks, celebrating a new musical kindred spirit with her choice of Rory Gallagher's Deuce, which certainly seemed to do the job for everyone present. So thanks to Emma for the pick and for a well-aimed frisbaton flung squarely at @corin_ja, who will address you now from somewhere in the wilds of west Wales.

"Thank-you to @emmaprice for sailing the frisb my way, after a great selection last week. This was a tricky choice. I had 3 or 4 other records in consideration but this is something I've just been itching to play at other people for ages.

"I've missed a lot of Listening Clubs after attending the very first one ever back in March 2012, on account of usually spending Sunday night putting my kid to bed or just being too wiped out from the week to be even semi-coherent playing with others. So this record is in a sense a tribute to efforts to get some sleep, either mine or a wailing child's. Actually, this artist has other recordings that are better for that specific purpose, but this is a good compromise between inflicting one of those on the audience and playing something a bit more crowd-friendly.

"What I especially love here is the sonic effect, the sound of the production, and the sense of humour. Gotta admit it is a pothead record, probably best listened to whilst very, very stoned and chuckling slowly like Beavis on 33rpm. It amuses the hell out of me, but also at times I find it hugely satisfying and gripping. Sure, it's pretty niche but I reckon someone will find something here, or in the rest of the artist's catalogue, that works for them. Hope so anyway!

"Headphones on, lava-lamp on the go, bong warmed up - it's time to lie-down & be counted."

There we go, then. Direct download's here, or avail yourself of the HearThis stream below.

I won't be around for the playback but should just about be home in time for the big reveal, so have fun at 8PM (GMT+1) and I might catch you later.


No comments:

Post a Comment