Sunday 2 February 2020

The Listening Club - 2nd February 2020

Greetings folks,

Hope you're having a fine 02-02-2020. Standard buisness here in Amsterdam, still grey, still wet, but even more decent gigs popping up for attendance later this year, so the calendar is filling up very nicely indeed. As for my home country, well, the less said about that the better, but going from a big bong to a small gong kinda sums it all up for me...

Last Sunday chez #LC, @SimonLandmine was back in the chair, getting the assembled bopping with his pick of 2005's '2 Pie Island', the only release from 2 Bit Pie (folks formerly of Fluke). Thanks to him for the pick and for sailing the frisb across London, where @emmaprice is having the usual quandary...

"Greetings all.

I've thought long and hard about this pick. There's a part of me that wanted to play something spiky and angry to sum up the feelings of so many of us in the UK this week, to rail against the stupidity of it all.
However in the end I decided to go for something that will hopefully put a smile on some faces tonight and be a new discovery for many of our friends outside of the UK.

I'm taking you back to the late 90's and I'm at university in North London, spending all of my time between lectures in the many music shops around Soho. I think I'd heard of this artist via one of the many NME cover CD's that were floating around my consciousness at the time. I distinctly remember being in a little record shop next to the LA2 (dearly departed music venue next to Tottenham Court Road) and hearing one of the tracks being played and that was enough to seal the deal. Cue me heading straight to the counter and handing over cash. This was quite a departure for me musically at the time and was a big part of expanding my horizons in other directions. Which is what it's all about really.

This album makes me smile - After this week I'll take that whenever it's on offer.

#Drinkingclub is being drunk out of a plastic cup in a tent while you dance the night away with friends."

Okaydoke. Direct download is here, and the stream is below:


See you at 8pm GMT tonight!




No comments:

Post a Comment