Sunday 26 January 2020

The Listening Club - 26th January 2020

Greetings folks,

Time flying as usual... end of January already? Blimey. Still on the making plans tip, and also finally, finally, finally getting my next slice of music finished, which is most welcome, as it's taken way longer than I'd anticipated, due to one thing and another, and it's always one of the best feelings in the world when something is close to done, and the light at the end of the tunnel is enjoyably blinding... if you know what I mean :)

Last week @mrtorture was celebrating the frisb's arrival in Buenos Aires with their debut pick of Anekdoten's "Gravity" from 2003 which went down rather well indeed. Thanks to them for the selection, and for sailing the frisb across to London, where @simonlandmine is in the usual quandry...

"Picking albums for Listening Club is difficult, as many have noted.
This time around, I managed to narrow the choice to two albums. And the rip was a bit iffy on one of them, so that one will be held off
until I dig out the CD, which means you get this instead.

This is an album which I picked up after first hearing one of the tracks at a regular club night. I identified the artist in the traditional, pre-Shazam, fashion - asking the relevant resident DJ when they were done readying the next track ...

- "What's this? It's great!"
- "?"
- "WHAT'S THIS?"
- "[inaudible]"
- "SORRY, WHAT WAS THAT?"
- [scribbles]
- "CHEERS!" [thumbs-up]

And then I went out and bought it. And the exact same conversation was replicated a couple of years later, in the other direction, when I played the same track at the BiCon Ball - which was rather gratifying. Bonus points (worth nothing) for guessing which of the tracks inspired the purchase.

It's quite possible that you all know this, as I have absolutely no idea how well known it is. Whether it's familiar or new to you, I hope that you enjoy it anyway.

#DrinkingClub - It doesn't really matter, someone at the club will spill it for you. You might want a bottle of water, though."

Okaydoke. Direct download is here, and the stream's below:

See you at 8pm GMT.

No comments:

Post a Comment