Sunday 4 August 2019

The Listening Club - 4th August 2019

Greetings folks,

Yep, I'm back, after a week of rather hot holiday en France, plus a fine evening here in Amsterdam meeting up with @rougeforever and @mrhig of this parish, a cracking day yesterday bopping at Dekmantel Festival, and today a sweaty afternoon trying to hack the plants around the house back into some sort of sensible shape. So business as usual, and very grateful for all of it.

Thanks to @jimmccauley for keeping the lights on here in my absence, much appreciated, squire! And thanks also to @holette, who got the assembled bopping last Sunday with her pick of Sparks "No.1 In Heaven", and then sailed the frisb across the ocean to @saucer, who has this to say...

"Freshness and surprise are essential elements of music, and, frankly, sometimes my own taste bores me. These days I don’t have many musical friends IRL to pull me out of self-constructed ruts. 

That’s why I was so happy to meet a new musical friend... in an entirely nonmusical context... recently. They were conducting a test of something at work, and I, as a test subject, was lucky enough to get paired with them. This person is radically different from me in just about every respect you can imagine and we get along great: We’re both tickled by the disparities and also by the weird overlaps. She sent me one of her Youtube playlists and I disliked most of it, to my delight (and hers). It was fascinating to listen to.

Here and there among the entries I found points of brilliance, though, in the sense of tracks way outside the boundaries of my usual fare but nonetheless delicious and intriguing. That’s how I found the artist who made this album."

Okaydoke. Direct download is here, and the stream is below:


See you at 8pm BST (GMT+1)


No comments:

Post a Comment