Sunday 17 March 2019

The Listening Club - 17th March 2019

Greetings folks,

Hope you're doing fine. Unexpectedly reporting from pre-brexit Britain this week (and next), having popped over to give my Mum a helping hand, as she's a little bit poorly. Kinda weird being back here following the hoopla in the news this week, must be said...

Also, (hey, I fuckin' remembered this time!), time to pat ourselves on the back, as it is our 7th Birthday! Huge thanks to everyone for their tunes and support as always, delighted to be part of this continuing weirdness with you all.

But wait, did I hear someone say #vortextime? Yes! If you weren't following the discussion last week, it has been decreed time for a #vortex... a #getshitdonevortex no less. So what we need from you before next Sunday is a couple of your favourite "get shit done" tracks, you know the ones we mean. @akx has volunteered to steer the vortex ship this time, so please email your tracks to him here (or you can send them to me and I'll forward them). So get thinking and sending, toot sweet!

Last week chez #LC, @miss_s_b used her debut pick for a timely Flinty tribute, courtesy of The Prodigy's "Fat Of The Land", which predictably hit the spot for the UK posse, and got a pretty fulsome thumbs-up from the ROTW gang too, whether they already knew it or not. Big thanks extended to da miss for da pick, and also for sailing the frisb over to Finland, where @akx managed to put down his #vortex-assembly training manual long enough to write this...

"Oh man.

It's hard to follow up after last week's belter, but I decided to go with the fuck-it attitude evident from that pick... but in a different way. This is honestly an album I've had on my pick shortlist several times, because it kinda means a lot to me, in maybe a kitschy, weird way -- like, I suppose my foray into electronic music (which is why I'm here now, I guess?!) really began with the music video to the second track of this album... and I'm pretty sure most if not all of the #LC regulars (and probably others, if you've listened to the radio about, uh, 17 years ago or so (has it really been that long?!)) have heard that one if probably not the rest of the album (which, in another way, segues nicely with last week's pick!).

I do agree not all of the tunes have maybe aged as gracefully as others, but there's still a certain lovely crispness and fullness in the production that _hasn't_ aged at all. The genre itself, or at least aspects of it, has seen something of a renaissance in the last couple of years, which has been refreshing, fantastic, bombastic, oh you'll recognize this reference around 40 minutes in to the album... anyway, I digress and I really shouldn't be overanalyzing things for you folks.

Still, play any one of these tunes at a club and you'll be damn sure to find me on the dance floor.

Looking forward to see what you think."

Right then. Direct download is here, and the HearBeSpoilers stream is below:


See you tonight at 8pm GMT.


No comments:

Post a Comment