Sunday 6 January 2019

The Listening Club - 6th January 2019

Greetings and a very Happy New Year to you all.

Hope you all had a more-than-decent festivity, and yes, here's hoping that there's at least a little bit more sense seen around the world in the next twelve months... slim chance, I admit, but one thing last year has shown is that you never know... On home turf it's very much back to normal in Amsterdam, as the streets pile up with discarded xmas trees and flat-screen TV boxes and the January grey takes hold once more. But still, at least spring is on the horizon, so round we go again...

This time last week, we were deep in the midst of the 2018 #festivevortex, which proved to be another cracker - many thanks to all who chipped in a couple of tracks, it's always great to hear what's been floasting your boats. So now we return to regularly scheduled deprogramming, and here's @SamQuitter, who, having made us the single exception to his twitter exit, has this to say by way of introduction to his selection for tonight...

"My pick this week comes into a special sub-category which I'm pretty fond of, which is that of an older, perhaps somewhat neglected artist collaborating with modern artists and/or producers to produce something special and unique. In the eighties I enjoyed the singles that the Smiths and Pet Shop Boys made with Sandie Shaw and Dusty Springfield, then the great album that Pet Shop Boys made with Liza Minnelli. The best of the sub-genre for me is maybe the Johnny Cash 'American Recordings' albums made with Rick Rubin et al. 

This one is a collaboration from the early 2000's between a great distinctive voice and some equally great modern (well, modern to me anyway) artists. As usual it took me about 10 years after release for me to discover it. I have no idea whether this is something everyone else is already very familiar with or not. Its quite easy to spot the collaborators on each track, which adds to the enjoyment for me. As usual, I hope you like it, or failing that, have some fun disliking it."

Right then. Direct download is here, and the HearMayBeSpoilers stream is below:


See you at 8pm GMT tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment