Sunday 20 January 2019

The Listening Club - 20th January 2019

Greetings folks,

Hope you're doing fine. Still cold and grey chez Amsters, and looks like my wish last week for some snow is going to be fulfilled very soon, and again and again for the next two weeks. I should keep my trap shut really... *goes off to dig his wellies out of the shed*

Last week in the land of L & C, @EmmaPrice was in the chair, with a slice of veteran techno action courtesy of Orbital's "Monsters Exist", which beeped for some and booped for others, as was its wont. Many thanks to Emma for the pick, and for sailing the frisb across London to @SimonLandmine, who's right here with tonight's introduction...

"Having been served the tasty frisbaguette by @emmaprice last week, I had the usual dithering over which album to pick this time. There were a couple of folk-ish options on the shortlist, but I decided to pick something from another genre this time, and maybe return to folk in the future, if again thrown the frisbinsertpunhere.

This is an album I originally acquired because one of the tracks (a mildly rewritten cover) turned into a bit of a club hit (for certain values of club, and certain values of hit), so when I saw the full
album in my local independent music store, I picked it up. Some of the references date it, but for the fact that quite a few of the subjects remain unfortunately relevant today. I don't know how many people will have encountered it before - it could be that it was only popular in the clubs I went to, or it might be that, four bars in, or less, everyone will exclaim "Oh, it's this!" and look over their shoulder to where their own copy sits.

#drinkingclub: No idea, to be honest - recommendations after listening?"

Direct download is here, and the HearBeSpoilers stream is below:


See you at 8pm GMT tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment