Sunday 5 March 2023

The Listening Club - 5th March 2023

Greetings folks,

Shit, March already? Doesn't feel like it here in Amsterdam, where it was significantly warmer back in January. Hoping things pick up soon, there's some pruning and trimming to be done outdoors before spring gets into it's stride, would rather be doing that on a nice day... 

Last Sunday we celebrated the end of the month in traditional style, this time with an #oddcouplevortex, which saw a mighty collision of unexpected voices and songs. Many thanks to everyone who chipped in a tune or two, and to @JimMcCauley, who neatly stitched it all together into a fine ensemble. Looking back, we find @EastVanHalen holding the frisb, with this to say by way of introduction to tonight's pick...

"This badass artist hasn’t often been off my music-playing thingies since I first heard her - way later than I should have - in a Tiny Desk Concert a couple of years ago. I listened to her 2021 release pretty obsessively, and her late 2022 release has a track that was my favourite song of the year (it was December, and it’s still rating as my favourite song of 2023, too).

For the LC, I’m going with a 2019 album, which has a little extra weirdness and grit (and, at one point…disco?) in the production that I love, because weird and groovy is my ground state. It's less sonically sophisticated and a touch more uneven than her later releases, but compelling in its own way. And she’s lyrically fabulous no matter where you start listening."

Right then. Download's here, stream's below:

See you 20:00 GMT tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment