Sunday 12 March 2023

The Listening Club - 12th March 2023

Greetings folks,

Hope you're all doing okay. Another week of seriously cold and wet here in Amsterdam, leading to a seriously grumpy hype-cat and not much else. Meanwhile I'm inside doing my tax and accounts. Riviting stuff, eh? At least the weather forecast indicates that this is hopefully the end of winter, which is very welcome indeed.

Last Sunday saw @EastVanHalen hitting the assembled with their selection of Little Simz 2019 debut, "Grey Area", which went down pretty damn well, I'd say. Thanks to Steph for the pick, and for sailing the frisb over to @JimMcCauley, who's here with tonight's intro...

"A musically-reliable pal, whose tastes largely orbit around the progressive/trance/progressive trance section of the genre map, sent me this a couple of years ago, around second lockdown time, saying that it was great but could do with being longer.

And he has a point; it kind of feels like Side One of a much bigger album. Some might say it's about 25 minutes too long. Alternatively, you could compare it with one of those really long singles like what The Orb and FSOL did back in the 90s, presumably to troll the charts people.

It squeezes a fair old bit of epicness and maybe just a little bombast into its 40-odd minutes, though, and it tickles the same musical glands in me that made me pick Nursery Cryme that one time and also had me briefly pondering (but ultimately rejecting) a recent-ish space rock opera for tonight's pick. Because my pal originally sent me it in FLAC, and also because it's maybe one of those albums that some would prefer to listen to in maximum quality (perhaps through a pair of speakers positioned for optimal stereo imaging), I've rendered up an optional FLAC download for you. Enjoy!"

Right then. Download's here: mp3 or flac, and the stream's below:

See you 20:00 GMT (Watch out North Americans, your clocks have changed, ours have not yet!)

No comments:

Post a Comment