Sunday 13 November 2022

The Listening Club – 13th November 2022

Afternoon all! @JimMcCauley at your service while @kleptones is off at Le Guess Who. I was just about to do a spot of ironing before lunch, before heading off to this afternoon's Railway Children rehearsal, when I suddenly remembered that there was something else I needed to do, and this is it. Bit of close one, what? Anyway, hope you're all feeling reasonably splendid; I have lots on but having an excellent time with it, and I may or may not join you this evening, depending on how I'm doing after a four-hour rehearsal.

Last week we had @faberfedor at the controls with his pick of Johnny Cash's career-reviving American Recordings, the first in his series of albums with Rick Rubin, and while nobody was remotely surprised by the reveal, it all seems to have gone down very nicely indeed with the assembled. So thanks to Faber for the pick, and for flicking the frisbaton at @corin_ja, who will see you now.

"Thanks to @faberfedor for the frisbaton from last week after a superb selection.

"This is also kinda folk music (well, what isn't - as Louis Armstrong said, "ain't never heard a horse sing"), but of a particularly English variety. A favourite of John Peel's this lot, and they've been going for almost 40 years, which is pretty terrifying considering their early albums were teenage singalong fodder for me & my mates.

"I guess this will be a very marmite selection. Not everyone is going to like or get this. I hope those that do appreciate the strength of the melodies as well as the wit of the lyrics. We shall see.

"#DrinkingClub probably a pint of bitter or fizzy lager. Maybe a snakebite or a cider'n'black. Packet of crisps and ten B&H. You get the idea."

Wicked. Download's here or stream away below.

Maybe see you at 8PM; if I don't, have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment