Sunday 10 April 2022

The Listening Club - 10th April 2022

Greetings folks,

Hope you're all doing okay. Cool but sunny here in Amsterdam, and we're in proper spring cleaning mode, pulling stuff out of storage, looking at it, throwing away a little bit then pushing all the rest back in again, as you do. Okay, maybe a little more constructive than that this time, prob because we'll run out of space if we don't, hem hem...

Chez #LC, last Sunday it was @nessiest in the chair, getting soulful with their pick of Mara TK's "Bad Meditation", which went down pretty fine with everyone so it seemed. Thanks to Ness for the pick, and for sailing the frisb across to @ohmyliver, who's right here with the intro...

"So, I’ve got the frisbie this week.  

What to choose. I’ve heard certain songs from Encanto so many times that I strongly suspect that people would talk about Bruno if they actually stopped singing about him for one bleeding moment. 

But I’ll not be picking that, I’ll be glad to hear.

I strongly approve of the whole ‘young people in their 20s discovering how great late ‘ardcore/early jungle was’ thing that’s been bubbling up for the last 5 years. People like Tim Reaper, and Sherelle and her Jungle Teknah thing 

But an hour or so of 160+ bpm Jungle made/mixed by people decades younger than me, probably won’t work on a Sunday night.  Also that Boiler Room set from ‘20 where Sherelle plays that amazing Jungle reworking of RIP Groove which was my entry point to this scene, has a really annoying emcee. 

We’ve also been listening to David Teie’s Music for cats, Music created by a soloist with the National Symphony Orchestra, and animal scientists. It also has us feline chilled. Our cat reacts with contemptuous serenity, obviously.

However we’re not cats, and not everyone is a member of a cat, or cat’s staff. 

I’ve also been dipping my ears into the Ukrainian electronic music scene, and kicking myself for not discovering earlier, but I need to listen more before picking. 

So I went with this. Released late last year, to quote the artist “This album is a love letter to our teenage selves. An ode to youthful memories from Scotland and the North East of England.”

Right then. Download's here, stream's below:


See you 8pm BST (GMT+1)

No comments:

Post a Comment