Sunday 6 June 2021

The Listening Club - 6th June 2021

Greetings folks,

Hope you're all doing okay. Still pretty warm and sunny here in the Dam, which is jolly fine, even if I'm a bit fazed after my first vaccine jab yesterday. So gently does it today...

Last Sunday the assembled assembled a super speedy #animalvortex, and mighty fine it was too - many thanks to everyone for chipping in tunes at @saucer's call, and to @akx for the assemblage. Back to regular programming, we see @holette waving the frisb with this to say...

"I’ve been caught up in a reading recommendation from both occasional Listening Clubber @cdrose_writer and, tangentially, that late lamented man of eclectic and esoteric taste, Andrew Weatherall. Night Boat to Tangier by Kevin Barry follows the misadventures of two Irish gangsters. The book made my thoughts drift to an album I’d not listened to in years. It’s by an Irish band, a favourite back when I was an indie kid listening to music on the sixth form common room record player. Imagine such a thing, if you will, Millennials: a crap record player that we sidled up to and slipped records onto. A crap record player that was a crucible of forged friendships, taste-making and windows onto other worlds. I guess this was an album that resonated with me as I grew up longing to escape a small industrial town in the far north of England.

The beautiful pop melodies belie the bittersweet lyrics and caustic commentary.  A band with the kind of fearsome front man you really wouldn’t want to mess with. Some of you may know the album but like me not listened in a while. I think it stands up pretty well.”

Okaydoke. Download's here, and stream's below.

See you at 8pm BST (GMT+1)

No comments:

Post a Comment