Sunday 9 May 2021

The Listening Club - 9th May 2020

Greetings folks,

Hope you're all doing okay. A surprise super warm day here in Amsterdam, so it's time to say hi to the neighbours and a few total strangers whilst sipping a beer or two on the stoop. Even hype cat was enjoying the bon temps. 

Last Sunday chez #LC, @iamwahl was in the chair for their debut pick, and treated the assembled to the skanking accordions of Edward II's "Wicked Men" from 1991. Many thanks to Ian for the selection, and for sailing the frisb over to @simonlandmine, who has this today by way of introduction to tonight's pick...

"I managed to narrow down an extensive shortlist to a choice between two albums, and having picked a solo singer/songwriter for my last pick, I decided to go with the one that wasn't another of those (you'll probably get them for my next pick in about six months, instead). Anyway, so what do we have tonight?

This is an album that I was introduced to on the dancefloor - one of the tracks having become justly recognised in at least one subculture as a fine floor-filler, and one that I've unleashed a few times myself. In the process of getting hold of the track, I picked up the whole album, and it has grown on me further since.

I know that at least one of you definitely knows this artist, and I'm guessing that some of the others might too, but to be honest I have no idea how well known it is or isn't. Even those who don't know the artist may recognise the vocalist, as they are better known for another part of their career than for this project, and another member is often regarded as being a master of their craft.

If you've previously heard it, I hope you don't mind the re-introduction and, if you haven't, I hope you appreciate it. Oh, warning if you have small people around - some of the lyrics include swears, so please apply the Parental Advisory automatic recommendation sticker.

Drinking club - maybe a red witch, if the barman will serve it."

Righto. Download's here, stream's below.

See you 8pm BST (GMT+1)


No comments:

Post a Comment