Sunday 2 May 2021

The Listening Club - 2nd May 2021

Greetings folks,

Hope you're all doing okay. Still chilly here in Amsterdam, seems like everything is moving a couple of weeks behind schedule nature-wise, even the wisteria hasn't started blooming yet, and this time last year it was in full force. At least the sun managed to pop out for Kings Day, which was socially distant fun for us, but got a bit crazy with many of the cities' younger denizens partying like there was no pandemic. So it goes, I guess. Also, as I mentioned during the week, happy to have got back into my personal twitter account, thanks to finding an old phone that, as long as I kept it away from the interner, still thought I was logged in to the account, and therefore would happily generate the precious 2FA code I needed. No thanks at all to Twitter's Support system, which seems minimal-to-non-existent, so be aware, it could happen to you too...

Last Sunday was the #namethattimethatisn't4/4vortex, and for the most part it lived up to it's name. Some mighty fine offbeat selections indeed, many thanks to all who chipped in some tunes, and @JimMcCauley for gathering the harvest and sorting the segues.

Back to regular mode, we find @iamwahl clutching the frisb, with this to say, by way of introduction to their debut pick...

"I first heard this around the time I made a big shift in my life. Not sure this is significant but it helps me locate the album in time. My first listen was compliments of a friend who has always been a music geek and who enjoyed introducing people to the unexpected. I can’t say it was a favourite of mine back then but through the shift it kept popping up among different folks I encountered along the way, and I enjoyed the reacquaintance every time. However, I didn’t own a copy and it eventually fell out of my purview. Fast forward some time and another friend who is known for finding and sharing eclectic music was divesting themselves of the physical media that comprised an expansive collection. It was nearing the end of the clearing out when I had my opportunity to sift through the remainder bin. Among the weird and wonderful items that had been passed over by many an enthusiast I spotted this and was delighted to claim it for myself. Since then the acquaintance has been happily renewed with repeated listens.

I suspect some #ListeningClub members will be familiar with this album/band (and maybe even have a cousin who shared a flat with a band member or two…). Of course I’m hoping it will be new to more than a few. For those who have heard it before, may it be a warm reunion that brings a lift. Headphones if ya got ’em (and like that sort of thing). Feel free to twirl….

As for #DrinkingClub, might I recommend a rum ’n’ lime, or something by way of a dark ale; or simply a frosty ginger beer for those of us in the earlier (or non-tippler) zones…."

Okaydoke. Download's here and the stream's below:

See you 8pm BST (GMT+1)

No comments:

Post a Comment