Sunday 17 January 2021

The Listening Club - 17th January 2021

Greetings folks,

Hope you're all doing okay and keeping safe. A little frosty here in Amsterdam, as yesterday we had the first snow we've had in a couple of years, which resulted in a quick flurry of snowball fights before it all melted again. Ah well. Also the first trickle down personal effects of Brexit are being felt, as deliveries from the UK are now costing a lot more, and are also now subject to customs charges over a certain value - that is if the companies can even still deliver at all, depending on what they sell. Net result = less business for small companies (who probably need it more than ever during the pandemic). Way to go, UK! :(

Don't forget in two weeks time will be the return of regular vortexes, in the form of the #weirdjanuaryvortex - @saucer will be helming that, keep an eye out on the twitter feed for details, or send tunes to me and I will forward them on, okay?

Last Sunday, chez #LC, @AngelaKlaus was in the chair, digging back to simpler times with her pick of "The Above Ground Sound Of Jake Holmes", which was warmly received on all sides. Thanks to Angela for the pick, and for sailing the frisb over to @faberfedor, who's got this to say by way of introduction to tonight's selection...

"From texts betwen @AngelaKlaus and me talking about her pick of last week: 





My immediate pick was a debut album from a 1970's SF underground band. Has two of my favorite songs on it. After playing them, I listened to the whole album and was rather surprised; the first half sounds nothing like the second half and was reminiscent to another 70s band that I don't think will go over with some people in here. *Everyone looks towards the Pacific Northwest* 

I had a coupla' other entries but none of them were "sideways" enough. You'll see what I mean. 

So this week's pick is another debut album from the same time period as last week's pick (mid to late 60s). It's considered a cult classic on this side of the pond, a bigger hit on the other side, and heavily influenced many European bands including some guys from, I think, Liverpool. 

I really can't think of any #drinkingclub suggestions. I could suggest some other substances though..."

Okaydoke. Download's here, and the stream's below:

See you at 8pm GMT!

No comments:

Post a Comment