Sunday 5 April 2020

The Listening Club - 5th April 2020

Greetings folks.

Hope you're surviving OK. Warm and sunny in Amsterdam, which is just fucking typical, so perching on the stoop with a beer or a wine and keeping a safe distance has been the order of the day, not just for us, but for most of the neighbourhood. Not much else we can do right now. Still entertaining myself, and hopefully a few other people, with the Lockdown Radio transmissions, which should continue this week if all goes well. Thanks extended to those tuning in, and if anyone else fancies doing a show / set in any form, let me know, always good to have company!

Last week chez #LC, the dynamic duo of @rougeforever and @mrhig managed to agree on something and delivered REM's 1998 opus "Up", which brought forth a fair assortment of opinions, as you'd expect. Thanks to them for the pick and for sailing the frisb across to @samquitter, who has this to say by introduction to tonight's pick...

"OK folks, keeping it simple this week. Normally I have a little mental list of possible clever listening club picks, but having tried to listen to them this week they all did my head in due to our strange and unnerving times, and I did not wish to inflict the same on you fine people. So I've gone with an all time favourite that to this day makes me smile when I hear it. 

The group and the album won't be any mystery to anyone. To me its the sound of sunshine rather than summer, and for some reason, and appropriately enough for our current predicament, it reminds me of being indoors in sunny weather, with sun streaking through the windows.

When I was a toddler I used to drive my parents mad by pulling records off the shelves. Then I liked to look at the covers, spread out on the floor. For that reason the cover of this album is even more imprinted on my mind than it is on the tourists who in normal times attempt to recreate it on a daily basis. I rediscovered the album as a student when I bought a CD of it, then recently went back to vinyl when one of my own kids made me a gift of it on special new heavy vinyl, whatever that is. And it still sounds great to me. 

Anyway, enough of my yakkin... hope you find it suitable! Sam x "

Direct download is here, and the stream's below:


See you at 8pm BST (GMT+1).

No comments:

Post a Comment