Sunday 10 November 2019

The Listening Club – 10th November 2019

Greetings and salutations. @JimMcCauley at your service, holding the fort while @kleptones and (and @nessiest) are away at Le Guess Who, and trying to ignore a painful neck which I must have twisted awkwardly yesterday. Seems less awful than when I got up this morning, although that could be the paracetamol talking.

Last week, then, it was me on the decks, working through loss with ASIP's Portals: The KLF's Chill Out (A New Dimension), which seemed to go down well for the most part. So thanks to me for the pick and for spinning the frisbaton at @ohmyliver, who I'm sure will be along shortly.

Any moment now.

Ah yes, here he is:

"This pick has been difficult. Which is why I'm writing this at 5pm, Sunday. Sorry. 

I didn't have a clear pick lined up.  

I would have picked Bodega's latest album, just for the 'play me on an open plan tech office sound system, I dare you' opening track. But I'm not sure about the rest of the album in it's arty 'we've heard The Fall, and 90s US indie, and have their obscure tracks too' thing.  No doubt I'll get really into it, and regret not picking it.

I would have picked Soundbwoy Killah's latest album in all it's 'yeah I might be young enough to be conceived during the come down to an early 90s rave, but I like old school 'ardcore *and* uk garage thing.  But it feels a bit wrong putting something like that to listen to at 8pm on a Sunday evening. Apologies if you've had a big night, and your heartbeat still seems to be recreating outtakes from an LTJ Bukem recording session in '93, you'd have dug it. 

I would have picked P-Money's Money Over Everything Vol3, as that's one of the best straight Grime albums in years. But I've picked 2 grime linked albums in the last 18 months or so. 

So, I went with this from the late 60s/early 70s. 

I first heard the cover of a Cream track from this album (in my opinion it's better than the original) on a compilation in the late 90s, and if you were ever out dancing in the Rob Lluis part of 90s Brighton clubland then you probably know it too. I've finally tracked down the album.

It's funky, it's a little jazzy, and it's great. There's a little bit of surface noise on the rip, but to quote the late John Peel, 'life's got surface noise'."

Righty ho then. Direct download is here, HearThis stream is below, you know the score.


See you at 8! (GMT!)

No comments:

Post a Comment