Sunday 24 November 2019

The Listening Club - 24th November 2019

Hey there folks,

Hope you're well and good. Shit, only one month to Christmas? Where has the year gone, etc. Been a quiet grey week here in Amsterdam, but there's Aldous Harding to look forward to on Wednesday, which should chase the grey away for a while, I hope...

Last week in the land of #LC, @eastvanhalen was in the chair, delivering a soulful selection box in the shape of the Soul Jazz Records compilation "Soul of a Nation - Jazz Is The Teacher, Funk Is The Preacher", which hit the spot with the assembled for the most part. Thanks to Steph for the pick and for boldly flinging the frisbee across to @adam_steinert, who has this to say by way of introduction to their debut pick...

"Hello All,

A relatively short one, this. This was an album that I first heard when I was 18 or 19, a generation after it was recorded. Hopefully you won't know it, but I'm not laying bets!

At the time, I was devouring all the records I could lay my hands on from this genre, from wherever I could. I found this down the local lending library, which had just started offering CDs. They really didn't carry a big range, and although I got through almost everything they carried, for me it remains pretty much a chance discovery. 

Even on first listen, though, it felt head and shoulders above most of the other stuff, a little rough around the edges in ways most of its contemporaries weren't. The same artist has more famous albums, more strident, more experimental, but to my mind this one still cuts it. I just wish it was closer to Christmas!"

Okaydoke. Direct download is here, and the stream is below:


See you 8pm GMT tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment