Sunday 7 July 2019

The Listening Club – 7th July 2019

Hallo, listening chums! @JimMcCauley checking in, doing the thing while @kleptones and @nessiest are off at Down The Rabbit Hole. Lovely morning here in Bath, so here I am getting this done before heading over to Bristol for lunch with some friends; should be back in plenty of time but you never know.

Last week saw @faberfedor on the decks with Jane's Addiction's first studio album, Nothing's Shocking, which provoked a range of reactions that Perry Farrell would doubtless approve of. So thanks to Faber for the pick, and for flipping the old frisbaton thing at @ohmyliver, who is very much here now to tell you of tonight's festivities.

"This time the pick was easy.  So I’m not going to write a lengthy pub-bore style monologue about it, as is my wont. 

As soon as I listened to this album, I knew it would be my next Listening Club pick. You all might know it already, but you might not, so I'm going to take a chance.  I’d not heard of the person/band behind this before, which probably says much about how out of touch I am. But this album made me a fan. 

It came out earlier this year.  It’s a hazy low fi psych influenced downtempo album.  I was surprised to read that they had no connection to The Super Furry Animals, and are American.  At the risk of sounding like an effete wine critic, I’m getting hints of musical influences like Spacemen 3, The SFA, Syd Barret, and Harvest-era Neil Young, wrapped up in an understated low-fi ennui.

The second track is easily one of my favourite songs of this year, and the album will probably work well in the quiet of the darkening dusk of a summer Sunday evening."

Top-hole. Direct download is here and the HearThis (spoilers etc) stream is just down there.


See you at 8PM! (BST!)

No comments:

Post a Comment