Sunday 21 July 2019

The Listening Club – 21st July 2019

How do, listening chums! You're stuck with me, @JimMcCauley, for the next couple of sessions while @kleptones is off doing who knows what. Home alone this weekend, so I've been using the time wisely, to wit: playing videogames, fiddling with a lightsynth that I've almost completely forgotten how to operate properly and lost the instructions for, slicing a finger on a tin and getting yelled at by an increasing senile cat. Fun times!

Let's see now, so, last week… yep, last week @wojsvenwoj stepped up and punked us all good and proper with his pick of "Cost of Living" by Providence, Rhode Island's finest, Downtown Boys, which certainly did the trick. So thanks to Woj for the pick and for launching the frisbaton at @simonlandmine, who's just popped up in my inbox with these words:

"One of the challenges of Listening Club is picking an album that is not just fondly remembered for a couple of tracks, but that works reasonably well as a piece. And, at the same time, often one where there is at least some slight variety between the tracks. Picking tonight's album resulted in considerable musing and second-guessing, and quite a lot of listening through contenders - some of which have been removed from the short-list as a result, while others (more, in fact) have been added. This album was a late addition to the field, of which I was reminded while picking one of the other possibles off my shelves.

I was introduced to this by a friend by way of one particular track, and have since picked up the rest of the artists' catalogue. I suspect that quite a few, maybe even all of you, have already heard it, and I know that some have seen the act live and are keen apostles of their work. And despite that, once I'd thought of picking it, it remained at the back of my mind while I listened to some others, and in the end, I had to succumb, having checked the github to be sure that it hadn't been offered up before. For reasons that should become clear, this is a perfect time to listen to this album.

Drinking club? Not until after you've landed safely."

Right you are, then. Direct download's here and the HearThis stream (blah blah spoilers blah blah) is literally just down there.



See you at 8PM! (BST!)

No comments:

Post a Comment