Sunday 9 December 2018

The Listening Club - 9th December 2018

Greetings and bleurg.

Hope you're all well and good. Colds are such bastards, are they not? Haven't had one as bad as this for a few years, but my word, how much of a wipeout it has been. Especially now with a job that's a little more mentally draining than previous, which has meant a lot of early nights (but at least I have the Beastie Boys Book to read). Finally moving onto the lung-rattling cough stage now, so that hopefully means the end is in sight... I pray.

On the #LC planning front, looking at the calendar, I'm proposing that we take a little break on the 23rd, as a lot of folks will probably be in the midst of their holiday planning / partying / travelling, then reconvene on the 30th for the customary #xmasvortex (for the uninitiated, and lurkers, that means you all send us a couple of your new favourite tunes released this year, we jumble them all together then playback and get very merry in the process). Let me know if you don't think that makes sense and propose an alternative, please!

Last week wor @nessiest was in the chair, getting spacy with Moses Sumney's "Aromanticism", which hit the spot for a good many of you. Many thanks to Lady V-ness for the pick, and for sailing the frisp across to Sir "Oh" @Mutster101, who's right here, avec intro...

"Daft choice or serious choice or Christmas choice. That’s the dilemma I faced this week. Was there a way I could do all three? Well, no.

One of the important things with lots of music is knowing the time and context that it fits into. It explains why it is the way it is, tells you its purpose. Without that you might sometimes be left thinking “What the hell are they doing?” - the musical equivalent of an #OhGareth.

There’s probably a reason for these musings but I think I’ve lost what I was trying to say. Anyway! This is my pick. I’ve chosen not to give you much in the way of context.

As for drinks... I’ve no idea, sorry. But let’s all have a mince pie."

Rightyho. Direct download is here, and the HearThis stream is below:


See you at 8pm GMT tonight.




No comments:

Post a Comment