Sunday 11 November 2018

The Listening Club – 11th November 2018

Evening all, @JimMcCauley clocking in and holding the fort while @kleptones and other Listening Clubbers are off doing their thing at Le Guess Who. Quite a pleasant day here in Bath, something that I haven't had a chance to appreciate thanks to a broken kitchen tap that I've finally managed to bodge into a working state. Now I just need to find a plumber who can come and replace the whole thing, which turned out to be beyond the limits of my plumbing abilities *eyes grazed knuckles ruefully*.

Last week I was at a fancy hotel for an anniversary night away, so I missed @EastVanHalen's jazztastic pick of an eponymous LP from Vancouver's Malleus Trio, featuring Mr EastVanHalen on tenor sax. I'm just catching up with it now and yeah, I'm digging it, a sentiment that the assembled seemed to agree with last week, so thanks to Steph for the pick, and for targeting @saucer with the special thing. Here he is now!

"The frisbee of excellent doom was uncannily named, as it played out, because this was by far the most difficult LC pick for me ever. Way, way too much second guessing of my many candidate albums. You don't want to know how late I stayed up to get something over to Jim. I'd like to blame it on the very unhealthy air we're stuck with now in the Bay Area, blown directly at us from fires 200 miles away, making eyes burn, throats swell, and functioning generally difficult.

"But time didn't wait for me so I finally settled on a pick. 

"This recording is disarmingly gentle, minimalist, and sincere. And uncannily affecting and lovely.

"I hope I'm awake for its LC appearance."

Righty ho! Direct download is here, and the HearThis stream (spoilers etc.) is below:


See you at 8PM (GMT)!

No comments:

Post a Comment