Sunday 28 October 2018

The Listening Club - 28th October 2018

Greetings folks,

Hope you're all doing fine. Grey and grumbly here in Amsterdam, but plenty of activities to plan and do to keep the grey away, speaking of which, I'll be away on Sun 11th having my musical brain stretched at Le Guess Who in Utrecht (with a mini-LC meetup included!), so as usual, looking for a volunteer to run this here shebang for the day. Let me know if you feel like helping out, thanks!

Last week, @Har_Shone was back in the chair, dosing the assembled with a slice of late period Joe Strummer, by way of "Rock Art And The X-Ray Style", which went down very smoothly, so it seemed. Many thanks to Harriet for the pick, and for sailing the frisb over to me, so, here I am with this week's intro... *dons false moustache*

"There seem to be two ways that I approach making a pick for #LC; either there's something that screams "Pick me!" so loudly it has to be the one, or there's a few possibilities, in which case I wait until the day, and pick the one that suits the mood I'm in. This time it was the latter. 

Given some of the hideous events that have been occurring over the past couple of weeks in America, you can imagine my mood, so this one is a no brainer, if only for the simplest of reasons: that when I truly despair of the actions of some of my fellow so-called humans, I can choose to submerge myself in a truly awesome piece of musical and lyrical art, and remind myself that if works like this can continue to be created and presented before the general public eye, there is hope. 

I do think this is a hopeful record, although the words don't scream it. To me, these songs are about awareness, buried within the oblique lyrical imagery and the original version's plundered grooves; the act of becoming "woke", way before that word grew new layers of meaning. 

This reinterpretation treats the album title as nothing less than a mission statement, bringing the songs back from their imaginary home to a solid here-and-now, with, I think, explosive results.

You've probably guessed what it is, but that doesn't matter. Join me, it's time to dance."

OK, direct download is here, and the HearWillBeSpoilers stream is below:


Clocks have changed! See you at 8pm GMT.


No comments:

Post a Comment