Hope you're doing okay - finally a decent rain shower and a bit of cooling off in Amsterdam, which is very much appreciated as the place was starting to pong a bit. Very quiet and gentle chez K as we're feeling the after effects of a friend's birthday party last night. A restorative curry is in order, I think...
Last Sunday we had @saucer in the chair, getting funky and conscious with his pick of "Voice Of The Revolution" by The Neighborhood Kids, which got the assembled bopping and pondering in equal measures. Thanks to Mr. S for the pick, and for sailing the frisb over to @das_ulicorn, who's back after having been away for a good long sabbatical and a change of moniker, and has this to say by way of introduction to today's pick...
"Happy Sunday, all of y'all, I hope you didn't collectively melt into puddles in the current temperature extravaganza.
Last week, Simon and I discussed how hip hop and spoken word art intersect, so maybe today is another data point in the lyrics-forward area of music. Discogs thinks today's album is both "Hip Hop" and
"Non-Music", supporting some people in the notion that Hip Hop is not music. (Personally, I'd say this album isn't very Hip Hop, but what do I know.)
Singer, writer, poet, Glastonbury regular, yet, I guess, not very widely known outside the UK, the artist has been on LC before, a looong time ago, long before my first time around here. (Y'all have been doing this for ages, haven't you?) A lot has happened since, so it's time to catch up, catch a deep breath, pause and reflect.
And then open the floodgates, because this has the whole range of emotions, from rage and defiance to love and regret and hopelessness and heartbreaking sadness. I could say I didn't cry the first time I
listened to this all the way through, that I didn't sit stunned, but I'd be a liar.
LibationClub: a shot of tea. (Or pop some E, whichever way you're inclined.)"
Right then, download's here, stream's below:
Hope to see you at 20:00 BST (GMT+1) later today.

No comments:
Post a Comment