Friday 19 January 2024

The Listening Club - 21st January 2024

Greetings fellow lovers of the tune. @emmaprice here sitting in for our tunemeister while he's off to sunnier climes. Last week I was in the hotseat and treated you all to Funke & The Two Tone Baby and his 2023 release Reacclimate which seemed to go down rather well.

The frisbaton was deftly caught by @iamwahl who is here with this introduction

While this isn’t my most favourite album by this artist, like every other of their albums I possess, it remains in the stack of recordings I regularly return to for repeated listens. There was a break in their career and, I must confess, I lost contact with them when there was nothing forthcoming for many years. Partly as a result of this, I didn’t discover this album until well after its initial release (yes, it was another thrift-store find), which in turn was more than a decade after the most recent of this artist’s recordings that I had originally fallen in love with. This may not be the most recognizable of this performer’s output (although in some locations it may be) but it is representative of the breadth of their creativity and articulate voice. This is personal. There is an angry bite here, that delivers a mouthful of sweetness. As Emma Goldman said, "If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution”—come on down to the barricades, raise your fist, and swivel those hips….

As it is (for some) #DryJanuary I’ll leave #DrinkingClub up to each participant’s whims…

Right then, download's here, stream's below:

No comments:

Post a Comment