Sunday 19 June 2022

The Listening Club - 19th June 2022

Greetings and happy advance solstice!

Hope you're all doing good. Busy busy here in Amsterdam, as the weather bounces between boiling and showering, and inside the house we bounce between suitcase and rucksack, preparing ourselves for yet another Glastonbury - for me this marks the 29th year since my first one in '93, and I've been to about 3/4s of the ones inbetween, which makes me pretty fucking bonkers any way you look at it. Sigh. Still, it's the one place I really can't say no to, dammit, so off we go into the land of suncream and mud once again...

Of course that means that we need someone else to run things here next Sunday, which is also a #vortex week, so let me know in the tweets if you can help out!

Last Sunday we had @SimonLandmine in the chair, hitting an unusually rocktastic note with his pick of Slash's eponymous solo album from 2010, which er, rocked the assembled quite succesfully it seems. Thanks to Simon for the pick, and for sailing the frisb over to @corin_ja who has this to say by way of introduction to tonight's selection...

"Short one from me this week. Something to sink into while you're drifting in-and-out of wakefulness in a warm, sunny meadow, or perhaps besides a pool, a glass of something sparkling and indulgent at your elbow.

I was reflecting on my own tendency to choose white rock guys when people ask me to name my favourite albums, etc. Thought I'd swim against my own unconscious bias by deliberately seeking out something different. This is a record I don't know that well, although the artist is someone I'm very familiar with thanks to a sadly-defunct UK festival of the late 90s and 00s. They've contributed some highly influential music, both as a band-member and a solo performer, but here I thought I'd go back to the beginning and we can discover the record together, pretty much.

#drinkingclub has to be a cocktail of fizz, pink vodka & fresh raspberries. Cheers!"

Reet then. Download's here, stream's below.

See you 8pm BST (GMT+1)



No comments:

Post a Comment