Sunday 20 March 2022

The Listening Club - 20th March 2022

Greetings folks, hope you're all doing okay.

Ten years. Blimey. Well then. I'm resisting temptation to go back and look at what I wrote five years ago, so if I duplicate it, well, at least I'm consistent in thought and deed, eh?

But still, ten years is quite a while. My life has almost completely changed in that time, and quite a few of you may well say similar, but in that time the old #LC has been a constant, a rarity in these times. I've suffered some wobbles over the years, wondering if it had run its course, but have always been pepped back up again by enthusiastic participants, bless 'em, and,well, here we are.

So, to every single person over the past 10 years who's participated, whether for a week, a year or the duration, I raise my glass. Thanks for coming to hang out, I'm really glad you did. Music is the best, eh?

(And don't forget you can do it in person too if you can make it over to Amsterdam around the 27th April, heh...)

Last Sunday, @zensolo was in the chair, dealing out a slice of late period Iggy Pop in the shape of "Avenue B", which went down very well indeed. Thanks to David for the pick, and for sailing thr frisb across to @corin_ja who's here with tonight's intro...

"Looking back through the hundreds of selections over ten years worth of this, officially the Best Thing on Twitter, there are some seriously obscure albums in the early days - WTF is “The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation” and who are or were "The Vilebillies”? The less said about something spoken of in whispers as “the Lana incident” apparently the better.

So anyway, like most people I have a short list of things I’d think of to share with you all, and then whenever the frisbaton comes my way I think “will they like this, is it weird enough, is it _unexpected_ enough”? So in that vein I was thinking of subjecting you to a 2+ hour psychedelic epic tonight but I’ll reserve that for another time.

Instead I’ve chosen another on my list that’s much less obscure but maybe seems to work well as a companion piece to last week’s choice by @zensolo

This record taught me something, or at least helped form a particular perspective on life, the universe and my views on certain things. It was a staple of my teenage turntable (well, cassette deck) but very different to its fellows on my music shelf. I haven’t listened to it for well over 10 years mind, and when I gave it a quick spin the other day to re-check its suitability for tonight’s festivities I did notice some turns of phrase, some choices of word that seem, let’s say, a little less than progressive to our 2022 ears. So sorry about that.

That aside, it remains a belter. Not sure what the #drinkingClub suggestion should be. Maybe something in a whiskey-and-chaser. And a pack of strong cigarettes."

Okaydoke, download's here, stream's below:

See you 8pm GMT tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment