Sunday 14 March 2021

The Listening Club - 14th March 2021

Greetings folks,

Hope you're all doing okay. Astonishing myself this week, if only for the reason that it's our NINTH BIRTHDAY, and I actually remembered it this time, unprompted. Maybe this rememberance says something about the current state of event-free affairs, he says as he postpones his Birthday Party again on Facebook, le sigh... which, actually, is an important point to note. Next year, it will be #LC tenth birthday, and, notwithstanding the ability of the governments of the world to sort this shit out, it kinda coincides with the party I'm waiting to throw. So... joint party next year, yeah? *crosses well-crossed fingers*

But in the meantime, Happy Birthday collective #LC posse, you're all awesome 'n' curious folks, it's an honour to know you.

Speaking of which, last Sunday twas @holette in the chair, soothing the souls of the assembled with her pick of Jessica Pratt's "Quiet Signs". Thanks to Sarah for the pick, and for sailing the frisb over to @saucer... and here's their intro...

"One of my childhood musical meta awakenings was WGTB-FM, the student station of Georgetown University in DC. It introduced me to Krautrock, Italian rock, Canterbury rock, prog, jazz, electronic music, abstract music, and a special favorite: rock instrumentals. 

Now, this set (from a couple+ years ago, which I mention because of one song in particular) reminds me of those days but it's not any of those genres. My connection trigger is the instrument work. It goes all the places I loved about those instrumentals: Lyricism without lyrics! 

Layer penetrating poetry over the weaponized minimalist rock, et voila... it is very much my cup of tea.

I hope you enjoy, even if you've heard these songs many times."

Okaydoke. Direct download's here, stream's below...

See you 8pm GMT.

No comments:

Post a Comment