Sunday 15 December 2019

The Listening Club - 15th December 2019

Greetings folks.

Well, that was depressing. Plenty I could say on the subject, but this is not the place for it. Suffice to say that deciding on the spur of the moment to go see Madness the night of the election was a really fucking good idea, providing a well needed dance (even if hearing this did reduce me to tears). All things considered, I'm looking forward to drawing a line under this year soon, for sure.

In administrative #LC mode, as we're heading up to the festive season, I'd like to propose taking a little break next Sunday for festive prep and travel, and return on the 29th for the customary #FestiveVortex - Yes, as always, I'd like a couple of your favourite tunes of 2019, we'll jumble them all together, crack open a few bottles, and dance the year into submission. So get thinking, folks...

Last Sunday, @holette was in the chair, delivering an early xmas cracker in the shape of "Joia!" by Carwyn Ellis and Rio 18, which got everyone grooving beautifully. Thanks to Sarah for the pick, and for sailing the frisb back across the ocean to @FaberFedor, who is right here with tonight's intro...

"On the first day of Mr. B.'s music class, he would give a test to see how much music we knew. He would play about 30 seconds of a song and we were to write down the song title, the artist and/or genre. I got about 50% on the test. I found it incongruous that he expected 13-year-olds in a small Western PA coal/steel town to have heard of Debussy and be able to tell the difference between Beethoven and Mozart. And who the hell is John Cage?

But there was one song where the drumming enthralled me. I had to have that song! I went out looking for that weekend and found it, naturally, at George's Song Shop. This is one of the first
three albums I ever bought; the first was "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" and the other one was "School's Out". This is still one of my faves.

This album hit #1. The artist didn't have another #1 album until 30 years later.

A coupla' months ago, my town held its first "Diversity Fair" and I was quite chuffed to hear two songs off this album being played live. 

So, in the long and hallowed #listeningclub tradition of seasonally inappropriate albuns started last week by @holette, I give you this week's pick."

Okaydoke. Direct download is here, and the stream's below:



See you at 8pm GMT tonight!




No comments:

Post a Comment