Sunday 5 May 2019

The Listening Club - 5th May 2019

Greetings folks,

Hope you're well and good. Hailstones and sunshine here in Amsterdam, which is not the greatest combination for May, but feeling reasonably cheerful after we discovered at the last minute (i.e Wednesday) that the wonderful Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs were playing a tiny place here very very soon (i.e. Thursday). Much joyful noise was condensed into a small space, and I'm feeling all the better for it. Check 'em out if you get a chance...

Heads up that I'm away Sunday-after-next (19th May) for a much needed dose of R&R, so if anyone can help out and run tings here, please let me know, thanks!

Last week, @Saucer was in the chair, getting phenomenological with his pick of "Towards The Shadow" by Wume, which went down very well, so it seemed. Thanks to him for the pick, and for sailing the frisb across to Wales, where @holette has managed to grab some time away from her Bank Holiday business to say this...

"Hope you’re enjoying your bank holiday weekend if you’re here in the UK or having a day doing what makes you happy if you’re elsewhere. Here in Snowdonia I’m surrounded by fields of chilly but happy campers (snow fell on the mountains yesterday) and dreamy woods of spring bluebells.

I’ve no idea why it took till this year for me to discover this fabulously sassy and intriguing songwriter. 

Her fine songs feature lyrical landscapes, husky vocals and lush orchestral arrangements sprinkled with star chimes. She produced this record and wrote most of the tracks. As well as her music I am bedazzled by her fondness for catsuits, big hair and topless blokes wearing antlers dancing round her in Vegas....

Nevertheless this artist was a mystery to me ... I’d heard the odd hit but was probably put off by the mainstream friendly and, to me, terminally saccharine end of her catalogue’s spectrum. 

And yet I am delighted to discover this album. It’s a weird kind of jambalaya of country, blues, soul, folk and beautiful strangeness conjuring images of the old Deep South. A place I have briefly visited but mainly know from the constructs of music, film and books.

The original album is only 34 minutes long so I recommend sticking around to hear the contemporary revisiting by a well known band which is what first caught my interest. Listen out for some gorgeous performances by guest vocalists you may well recognise in the new interpretations.

Oddly, this American band has a curious connection to my own backyard in Snowdonia. Maybe we’re both drawn to backwoods kind of places with a little bit of mysterious magic about them. 

#Drinking Club recommendation: I’m not much of a Bourbon fan, but if you are, I suggest you find a stoop to sit on and savour a couple there."

Right then. Double pack download is here. and the HearThis stream is below:


See you at 8pm BST (GMT+1) tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment