Sunday 12 May 2019

The Listening Club - 12th May 2019

Greetings folks, hope all is good.

Another grey'n'wet week here in Amsterdam, and another gig-shaped saving grace, this time in the form of Kate Tempest, who managed to get a packed little room to put away their phones and live in the moment as she debuted material from her new album (and one or two oldies). A totally spellbinding performance, as you'd expect...

Reminder that I'm away next weekend, still in need of someone to run tings here - let me know if you feel like giving it a go, thanks!

Last week in these here environs, @Holette was in the chair, with a cracking dual pick of Bobbie Gentry's "The Delta Sweete" followed by Mercury Rev's guest star studded re-imagining of the same album. Both of which went down very well indeed. Thanks to Sarah for the pick, and for sailing the frisbaton across the ocean to @EastVanHalen, who's right here with tonight's introduction...

"Of course I changed my &^%%#@% mind. I was going to play this awesome Victoria/Vancouver punk rawk album, NoMeansNo’s “Wrong,” for you all, but as I sat down to listen through it before I packaged it up for Eric I realized I might lose half the cohort to no-more-shouty-punk horror by the second track. (This is kind of a pity, because buried on the second side are two of my favourite songs, but I don’t think everyone’s recovered from ‘David Comes to Life” just yet.)

So: I went back to New Orleans, and to an album I’ve had pretty much on repeat for the past three months. It’s a mix of originals and New Orleans standards recorded live in Australia just over a decade ago. I love it because it’s irrepressibly happy, with that particular joy you get when genius players get right in the pocket playing music they love. Plus it has a Meters cover that I might even like more than the original, and that’s saying something.

#drinkingclub is something that will keep you on your feet. Enjoy."

Okaydoke. Direct download is here, and the HearThis stream is below:


See you at 8pm BST (GMT+1) tonight!




No comments:

Post a Comment