Sunday 20 December 2015

The Listening Club - 20th December 2015

Festive greetings folks!

Hope you're all doing well, and however you choose to celebrate this chunk of the calendar, wishing you all a most complementary, peaceful time! Here in AMS it's the first Xmas in the new abode, so lights are twinkling and the freshly-installed tree is looking mighty fine, if somewhat groaning under the weight of lights and ornaments...

Reminder that next Sunday is #festivevortex, so we need one or two of your favourite tunes from 2015 to shuffle up and serve with much alcohol and bonhomie next week - get 'em in as soon as you can please!

Last week @saucer was in the chair, and plumped for left-field French lo-fi goodness courtesy of "The Cult Of Less" by Lispector, which went down rather well indeed. Many thanks to him for the pick, and for sailing the frisbee across to @wojsvenwoj, who is here with a fine way to end the year's selections...

"Aside from to-do lists, I can't make a list to save my life. Especially ordered ones, such as those best-albums-of-the-year lists that multiply and spread across the land as the new year approaches. I have a hard enough time quantifying what I like about a song or an album, never mind comparing and contrasting albums released during one revolution around the sun and sorting them in a way which reflects which ones I think I like best at that time. 

However, I appreciate and respect the people who can - or at least make the effort to try - as those lists are an excellent source to find releases I missed over the year. 

So, for this week's Listening Club, I went looking through the Top Ten album lists looking for something I had missed entirely, a band and album I was unfamiliar with. A look through the lists from music magazines was surprisingly dull and similar and while I was tempted to pick Kendrick Lamar's record just because I haven't heard it, he didn't met the unknown artist criteria. So I turned to the bloggers and came across a list which emphatically placed this selection at its top. The band's name may have flashed across my consciousness during 2015 but it did not leave an impression. The description of the album sounded interesting so here it is: a record I have not heard, that may or may not be well-known, that may or may not suck, that I will be listening to for the first time today."

Righty-ho. Direct download is here, and the hearthis stream is...

Hope to see you at 8pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment