Sunday 10 November 2013

The Listening Club - 10th November 2013

Hello hello hello,

Hope you're all doing fine... we've been blessed with a rare sunny autumn day here in A'dam, so I'm being all minimal on the intro to get this done, then off for a stroll around the park while the goodness lasts!

Last week, yes indeed, @petemaskreplica made his debut selection, and sent everyone back to a murky, funky period of history with his choice of Miles Davis' 1972 classic "On The Corner". Certainly did the trick for most of you, I reckon. Many thanks to Pete for the pick, and for skipping the frisbee across to @cakehugga for this week's choice. And here she is...

"So a lot has happened since I lost my beautiful wife @Jayesofine in August. It has been an incredibly difficult 3 months to get through. I have only got through it with the love and support of my friends, family and my twitter peeps. 

I narrowed my choice of listening club down to 5 albums and played them all repeatedly this week. This album stood out as being “the one”. 

The album came out last year and blew my mind. I have been following the career of this very talented musician and singer since both she and I were teenagers. I was lucky enough to see her perform live in a dingy little venue in Manchester when I was 20 and her live performance did not disappoint. I remember a lot of wigs and glittery eyeshadow as well as her enthusiastic use of the electric violin which caused a hole in the ceiling (yes, the venue was that small). 

It is a mystery to me why she is not more well- known. I have chosen this album over her extensive back catalogue (although if you like what you hear tonight I would recommend checking it out), as I feel that her work has improved with practice. 

This album covers a range of musical styles and genres and includes pop hooks, rock, soul, bicycle bells, intelligent lyrics, bonkers lyrics and some amazing dub step drops. All I ask is that you listen to it with an open mind and enjoy the musical ride."

OK, Dropbox download is here, and the Mixcloud stream (which may reveal the track titles, you have been warned)  is here!

Search #listeningclub to see what's going on, and follow @listeningclub for the admin.

The clocks have changed everywhere  now I think, so hopefully the time of clock confusion is over, and hope to see you tonight at 8pm GMT!

No comments:

Post a Comment