Sunday 2 June 2013

The Listening Club - 2nd June 2013

Hi to you all,

Was just sat here pondering what I can think up by way of the preamble to the preamble this week and almost immediately a brass band starts parping and booming right outside my front door. Turns out there's a big charity run around my side of Amsterdam today (thanks to @svenahrens for the info), and a free concert up the road at the finish (and who could resist performers such as "Transmitter & Wanka" and "MC Buttslammer"), so once I get this done I'm off to score some beers and go have a look...

During the meanwhilst, last week @akx beautifully fooled the #LC massive, who, based on his previous picks, were expecting something deep and spacious - Instead Aarni threw a super-summer curveball in the shape of Bran Van 3000's "Discosis". Many thanks to him for the pick, and for sending the #LC frisbee 7500km around the world to @EastVanHalen. And here she is...

"Howdy. It's 4:30 a.m. here in Vancouver and I am just finishing the mixcloud upload, having sustained a full technological meltdown whilst trying to get this week's LC up and running. Next time it's going to be tin cans and strings, and I'll send the blurb via semaphore. So I'll keep this very short:

If you know anything about jazz then you will likely have heard this week's record. I know nothing about jazz and to me it was a revelation. I have no vocabulary to describe it, but it's so fine that it makes me want to learn how to. Even if jazz isn't your thing, stick around long enough for the second track, a ballad of such surpassing beauty that I'd happily have it be the last thing I ever hear. All this from one day in a studio in 1962, with no rehearsal. Not bad."

Okaydoke! Direct download is here, Mixcloud stream (which may well reveal the track titles) is here.

Search #listeningclub to see what's going on, and follow@listeningclub for the admin.

Hope to see you tonight at 8pm BST/EST (GMT+1)!



No comments:

Post a Comment