Sunday 5 May 2013

Listening Club - 5th May 2013

Salutations to you all,

Hope all is fine in your existences. Here, Amsterdam is making merry, following Queen's Day and the Coronation on Tuesday (drunk mobs with DJs and soundsystems on boats - how did they survive before CDJs were invented? and furthermore, Andre Rieu? The smuggest man on the planet or what?) which was exceedingly good fun indeed, it's now Remembrance / Liberation weekend, which yesterday meant 2 minutes silence at 8pm (yep, on a Saturday night) and today, loads of mini festivals and outdoor markets to celebrate Liberation. So guess where I'm off after I finish typing this...

Back in time, quite lidderaly, last Sunday saw @samsmitter throw a curveball at the mob in the shape of the NME 80s tape compilation of 70s Punk "Pogo-A-Gogo", causing spittle to be sprayed far and wide across the LC corner of Twitter (sorry, can't bring myself to type "T******verse"). Many thanks to him for the pick, and pulling in @jayesofine to get back on the mound for this week's selection. Heeeeere's Jaye...

"Snub TV circa 1989 was the year and program that introduced me to this band and the time my obsession started.

This artist only made 3 albums but every one of them is utterly amazing. The first album is one man, his guitar, beat box and a selection of downers. The third is like T-Rex having a fight with Led Zeppelin whilst on heroin. Tonight, though, we’ll be listening to his second album… …the ‘POP’ album.

I was lucky enough to see him live on his only European tour to support this album. The songs from it were twisted and covered in layers of feedback and distortion surpassing all the noise/shoe gazer bands that were coming through at that time. I was blown away and a fan for life.

I could gush about the amazing record sleeves, the underlying sleaziness of his work and the amazing video with a rock goddess who guests with him on this album but I’m trying to keep it short. I’ll probably just gush all over that Twitter instead. I really hope you enjoy this album as much as I have over the past 23 years."

Rah! Dropbox direct download is here, Mixcloud stream (which may well reveal the track titles) is here.

Search #listeningclub to see what's going on, and follow@listeningclub for the admin.

Hope to see you tonight at 8pm BST/EST (GMT+1)!

No comments:

Post a Comment