Sunday 7 April 2013

Listening Club - 7th April 2013

Howdy folks,

Hope all is fine with you lot - sun is shining here in The Dam, and I have a new, slightly more permanent abode with a zoomy net connection, so there's no reason for me to be complaining right now. Doubly happy as I'm listening back to last week's #EasterVortex! What an excellent selection of tunes... major thanks to you all for chipping in. Another one around the Summer solstice then? @pamac66 had the fine idea of all live recordings to coincide with the festival season, so I think we'll go with that... plenty of advance notice with this one!

Back to our regularly scheduled programming, @monkeytypes was left clutching the frisbee the other week, so over to him for this week's intro...


"It probably goes without saying that this was not my first choice. In fact it was while listening to what I was sure I was going to go with that this popped into my head. It's a very special album for me. In many ways it opened my eyes to new styles of music, as well as being the soundtrack to a very happy summer or two, where they seemed to play every free festival in London. I first heard them when they opened, if memory serves me correctly, on a triple bill with Sheep On Drugs and Nitzer Ebb. By the time they finished their set with an amazing Public Enemy cover, I wasn't quite sure what I'd heard but knew I had to get hold of the album.

Naturally it was an absolute rip snorter. The first half of the album is an in your face tour de force, reaching a peak on track 5. So much so that unable to follow it,  the band appear to start the album again and go off on a couple of tangents before catching their breathe and hitting another peak on track 11. It's a fantastic mix and mash-up of styles, great production and as for the vocals... Well, you'll see what I mean. Some of the tracks still make me grin like a loon even now.

This one has to be heard loud. When the opener kicks in, you should be joining in with the maniacal laughter and hopefully, like me, be bouncing around the room with sheer joy while throwing some shapes."


There ya go. Download is here (dropbox direct), and Mixcloud here!

Search #listeningclub to see what's going on, and follow@listeningclub for the admin!

So hope to see you tonight at 8pm BST/EST (GMT+1)!

No comments:

Post a Comment