Sunday 23 June 2019

The Listening Club - 23rd June 2019

Greetings folks,

Hope you're all doing fine. Feeling better here in Amsterdam, partially as my back is recovering (not a slipped disc as first suspected, which is really good news, but still something I'd rather not have to deal with), and also finally we have some decent weather, and the first festival of the summer to attend, which brought lots of joy, and fine sets from African Headcharge, Joy Orbison and Laraaji amongst many others.

Speaking of ye festivals, providing my body holds together, we'll be away in a couple of weekend's time at Down The Rabbit Hole, so as usual, looking for a volunteer to run things here on Sunday 7th July in my absence, so let me know if you feel like helping out, thanks!

Last week, @akx was in the chair, going widescreen quite literally with his pick of The Cinematic Orchestra's "To Believe", which fared pretty well. Thanks to Aarni for the selection, and for sailing the frisb over to @brainspiritus, who's right here with tonight's intro...

"Happy Sunday from sunny Kiel, where the 125th Kieler Woche sailing regatta/music festival has just kicked off.

It's been a rough couple of weeks at work for me, so I hope you will indulge me in a trip to the past while I ignore the uncertainties of the future. Tonight's mystery album is a 2002 release by a band that was a bit of a two-hit wonder here in Germany around that time (even though they continue to release and tour to this day).

At that time, I had just about started university, and had the kind of priorities that people in that situation might have, i.e. finding approval and, I admit, lust, in other people's eyes may have been important to me in other ways than it is now. Alas, my salad days were not without their share of slugs (whose ever were?), and this is where this album fits in nicely, with its sense of juvenile righteousness that becomes so infuriatingly incomprehensible to people of a more sedate age.

It was also an interesting time technologically, because no longer was there the fine motor control and short-term memory needed for dialling a number from a phonebook on a rotary dial telephone, and smartphones that would need very carefully enunciated voice commands were still a thing of the far future, so it was far too easy to make drunken phone calls after listening to this album one too many times.

#drinkingclub: red wine, cheap, with the last sip reserved for blotting out that phone number on that cocktail napkin. Do not drink the lighter fluid you're using to burn those photos. And don't make that phone call.

As for my usual suspicions: I think it's fair to say there will be no surprise metal guitars in this one."

Okaydoke. Direct download is here, and the HearThis stream is below:


See you at 8pm BST (GMT+1) tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment