Sunday 10 January 2016

The Listening Club - 10th January 2016

Greetings all,

Headlong into 2016 we tumble, spending the weekend waving goodbye to the xmas tree and joining a large global congregation in raising a glass or two to the recently departed Mr. Kilmister, but keeping both eyes fixed firmly on the horizon, as always...

Last week we kicked off our 2016 season in fine style with @andershanson's pick of Yeasayer's "Odd Blood" from way back in 2010, which seemed to go down rather well. Many thanks to Anders for the pick, and for sailing the frisbee across the north sea to @nessiest, and here she is with the pre-match...

"Call me indecisive-ness. As at around 2am today you were *this close* to hearing at least the first 30 seconds of Ace of Spades. A few hours before it was Mr Bowie’s ★ which to me feels too freshly-hatched to be a listening club pick, but by crikey it’s a good listen. Then there was the lovely but unerringly melancholic folk album which is my first music purchase of the year and almost my pick. But…

This year my only resolution is to invest energy and attention in the inspiring and invigorating fun stuff I want to do, rather than the awfully responsible stuff I feel I should do. Which makes me doubly glad you lovely beans are around each Sunday.

So no introspective folk ballads tonight, instead measured, self-aware, fresh pop from a new artist with a decent dose of sass. You might, possibly, recognize one track from a past vortex. Now you get the full treatment of the debut album. Cowbells ahoy! This is an album that deserves effervescence, pick your drinking club choice accordingly."

Right then. Download is here, and the HearThis stream is...


See you 8pm GMT!

No comments:

Post a Comment