Sunday 11 August 2013

The Listening Club - 11th August 2013

Hey there,

Hope you're all doing well - Amsterdam is looking fine and dandy at the moment, although seems to have gone a rather Prince crazy, as the little purple one has dropped a couple of last minute shows at the Paradiso tonight, leading to some pretty chaotic scenes as folks scrabble for tickets. Did I get lucky? No, sadly not... but have still had a fine weekend nonetheless, tasting and supping artisinal treats at the Kimchi Farm Festival, and making the most of Amsterdam's scuzziest, most random alternative club Korsakoff before it closes down next weekend. So yes, another happy hangover Sunday...

Last week, @emmaprice stepped up to the plate under difficult circumstances, but musical serendipity triumphed and her pick of The Avalanches "Since I Left You" gave us the opportunity to dance away the shock and sadness that followed @jayesofine's tragic accident last Saturday. A finer tribute I'd be hard pushed to find. Many, many thanks to Emma for the selection, and for spinning the frisbee across to @thejayarr, who is here with the pre-match...

"This is one I've had in the chamber for ages now so while other albums were fleetingly considered, this was a pretty straightforward pick.

About a year ago I was listening to an episode of the All Songs Considered podcast and heard a band that was really great, but had something familiar about them. Upon looking them up I realised that one of the two leads of the group was also in another band that I had just started listening to and had been enjoying. That was enough for me to buy the album, which turned out to be one of my favourites of 2012.

It turned out that the second lead of this low-key supergroup had previously been in a fairly well-known band that I recognised but had never listened to. While I still haven’t actually got round to checking out that band, I noticed that he had another project, where he recorded three albums with his wife and a drum machine, which I felt strangely compelled to seek out. I'm glad I did, because they turned out to be three albums of awesome synthy electro rock, one of which we’ll be listening to tonight.

As always, I've no idea how well this will go down. I think it’s got something for everyone though."

Okaydokie, Direct download is here, Mixcloud stream (which may well reveal the track titles, you have been warned!) is here!

Search #listeningclub to see what's going on, and follow@listeningclub for the admin.

Don't forget the next vortex is in two weeks - theme is "Cover versions that are better than the originals". Get your selections in!

Hope to see you tonight at 8pm BST/EST (GMT+1)!

No comments:

Post a Comment