Sunday 21 April 2013

Listening Club - 21st April 2013

Hi to you all,

All is in flux this week for me, as I'm back in the UK for the weekend, moving out of my place in London, dumping a fair chunk of my stuff into storage, and prepping the rest to be zoomed over to A'dam tomorrow, where I will join it in the evening! The first half of that now done, I can relax for a moment, crack a beer and get around to typing this out before packing resumes... phew.

So last week it was me with the frisbee, and I'm chuffed that my selection of Eels latest album "Wonderful, Glorious" went down rather well. I'll allow myself a quick pat myself on the back before looking over yonder to Vancouver, where @eastvanhalen is ready to go...

"Hello, all you Listening Club lovelies. When I was doing the required hair-tearing over this week's entry, I couldn't help but keep coming back to the fact that after a particularly difficult winter it is finally beautiful, triumphant spring, and so the poignant rainy day jazz and pissed-off punk I had thought of playing were set aside in favour of some big, smart, open-the-windows power pop.

This is genrally considered to be a Vancouver band, and this record was released on a local indie label. Its members, though, live all over hell's half acre at this point; many of them are indiividually famous and you have doubtless heard of at least a couple of them even if this band isn't known to you. Though they're local I have only managed to see them once, in Las Vegas of all places. But that's a story to be told whenever I get around to playing the band that caused the story to happen...

In the meantime, please enjoy some power/indie pop fun. For me, the best part of this record is Track 8, one of those perfect, heart-from-your-chest pop tracks that I can play half a dozen times in a row and love more each time. Curious to know what you all think of it."

Rightyho! Dropbox download is here, Mixcloud stream (which may well reveal the track titles) is here.

Search #listeningclub to see what's going on, and follow@listeningclub for the admin.

Hope to see you tonight at 8pm BST/EST (GMT+1)!

No comments:

Post a Comment